As we are in the ready mix concrete business, we often hear from people that what is ready mix concrete? What are the benefits of ready mix concrete? etc. So, here we are answering all your questions about what is ready mix concrete and what are its benefits.
What is ready mix concrete?
You can say it is a tailor-made concrete that is made in a batch plant or factory on the required specifications. After preparation, the concrete mixture is then taken to the site in transit mixers which are mounted over trucks.
Benefits of Ready Mix Concrete
As it is made by professionals, the ready mix concrete is of high quality. So, ready mix concrete is of higher sustainability and durability. Here are some advantages of ready mix concrete:
- Ready mix cement is made by using consistent methods and precise equipment. Materials are tested before usage, the whole process is monitored by professionals and the quality of the mixture is maintained.
- As the mixture is made by mechanized operations. The speed of delivery is higher, which means the whole process of construction will be faster.
- Also, there will no delay like erection and dismantling of the site batching plant.
- Wastage of the ready mix concrete is less. Proper mixing and better handling of the mixture reduces the consumption of concrete approx. 10%. So, it will reduce the cost of the project.
- Less consumption will reduce production and results in less pollution in environment.
- As ready mix plants use bulk cement. The ratio of dust in cement is reduced.
- Because of the more durable mixture, results in increased service life.
- Due to automized processes, the ready mix concrete requires less human labor. Thus reducing the risk of human error.
- Fuel (diesel/petrol) usage is less. Which reduces the cost of the project. Plus noise and air pollution are reduced.
- It is very helpful in sites in congested areas.
Disadvantages Of Ready Mix Concrete
As there are advantages and disadvantages of everything. Similarly, there are pros, and cons of ready mix concrete. Here are some disadvantages of ready mix concrete.
- The transit time between preparation and delivery results in loss of workability. More admixtures or water will be required to maintain the workability. Engineers on-site check the workability by slump test.
- Unexpected traffic or traffic jams can result in the setting of the mixture during transit.
- The placing arrangement and formwork has to be prepared in advance for larger amounts of concrete.
Choosing a Contractor
Choosing a contractor or concrete delivery service wisely is important. You should select a concrete supplier who provides high quality mixture and is professional in behavior. Here are some tips that will help you choose a good contractor.
- Ask for references (at least 3).
- See their work, visit their already completed projects, etc.
- Compare their rates with at least 3 more concrete contractors.
- Get everything in written. Make sure that they provide a complete description of work in detail, warranties and payment terms etc.
- Never pay the full amount in advance. You can discuss payment terms with the contractor and make sure to get them in writing.
- Check the quality of their material. Be sure that you are getting what you paid for.